I've moved...

This blog now has a new home - please update your shortcuts and readers to: www.jeffkemponoracle.com. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Not just a free lunch

When I first learned to drive, all our cars were automatics - and so that's all I learned to drive. This never posed an issue to me until I married Rosalie who owns a manual. She tried to teach me, and I managed - kind of. It wasn't until I had a chat with my uncle-in-law, who's a mechanic, that it "clicked" with me. This is because he explained to me basically how the gear-change system works, which meant I now had a picture in my head of what was going on "under the hood" when I pushed the clutch in - it didn't take long before I was smoothly changing gears and not making my passengers lurch forward and back like someone on a bucking bull.

[Full Article]

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience learning to drive, my instructor had a little plastic device that roughly demonstrated the clutch - and whammo, the dirt was gone... I mean, I realised how to operate it with a smoother touch.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.